Goal Setting for 2014

I asked my friend, Donna Watson, published author and speaker, to write a post for us on the subject of setting goals for the new year.  I hope you enjoy and are encouraged by her words.

I met Donna about 9 years ago at a writer’s conference in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.   I found out that she graduated from high school with my mother (Ft. Stockton, Texas)  and even worked for my uncle when she was in high school. My uncle owned a radio station and Donna did a radio show called “Dinner Date With Donna.” Is that a small world or what?

Donna became a precious friend and a mentor.  She is an encourager and motivator. She lives her life for Christ and it is very evident to everyone who knows her. I’m thankful that she was in my path and I know it wasn’t by accident.  For this, I am very grateful!

Are You a Goal Setter?
            Are you a goal setter?  See any reason for them?  Maybe not.  But think about this.  Not having goals in your life is like getting into your car, starting the engine and then never touching the steering wheel.  If you don’t know where you are going, sometimes you can’t go anywhere. 
            Goals are a plan.  They are the way we get to where we want to go.  They are the most valuable asset of our successful lives.  A goal is anything that you can have, be or do.  Only 5 out of every 100 people actually set goals.  Interestingly enough, research has confirmed that at age 65, only 5 out of every 100 people are able to financially take care of themselves.  Coincidence?  Most likely not. 
            Written goals are an essential part of goal setting.  A study done at Harvard Business School showed that the 3% of graduating MBA students who actually wrote down their goals upon graduation, earned – in only ten years – ten times as much as the other 97%.  Written goals do make a difference. 
            Goals are simple…not always easy…but simple.  There are only 5 steps:
1.    You must have a beginning date.  Have you noticed that “someday” is not a day in the week? 
2.    Your goals need to be specific. The more specific they are the more likely they are to happen.
3.    The goals must be written down.  Unless your goals are written down they are only a dream. 
4.    Your goals need to be committed to someone who believes in you. 
5.    You want an ending date.  Is that ending date in concrete?  Of course not!  The ending date is a target date, and if you don’t make it, it is okay.  Strive for it, work for it, but if you don’t make it, just set another date and go on.
            Is it easy to make goals happen?  Of course not.  But they can happen.  Persistence is the key and it does pay off. 
            Why don’t people try? 
1.    They don’t understand the importance of goals.
2.    They don’t know how to set goals.
3.    They may have a fear of rejection.
4.    They may have a fear of failure.
            But the most important thing to remember about goal setting is that you have nothing to lose. 

            Take those goals you have established and write them down on 3-by-5 cards, put them in your Blackberry, or post them on your mirror.  Read them three times a day – out loud.  You will be amazed how quickly things will begin to happen.  Reach for the moon.  If you don’t reach it, at least you will end up among the stars. 

Donna Watson, PhD

One Comment

  1. Hi Beverly, Love this and thank you for sharing this from your friend. I have always set goals and continue to do so. Sometime I meet my destination exactly and other times not, but the good news is, a plan is a great motivator to our dreams and ideas. For me it helps to keep myself organize too.

    Thanks again for sharing. I enjoyed reading over this as it reconfirms to me the importance.

    Wishing you a lovely day filled with blessings my friend.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *